Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Disconnect old laptop from wireless internet?
12-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Disconnect old laptop from wireless internet?
We have a TP-link wireless router (TL-WR841ND) and we used to have a laptop connected to the internet through it, and no longer have it. Apparently we can only have 3 devices using the internet through it, and I want to add my android phone to it. But it won't connect, I assume because all 3 are in use. Is there a way to disconnect the old laptop from the PC I'm using now?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2012, 09:31 PM

open up your router in your browser ip should either be on the router or will follow a default like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.252.254 then login with admin as user name and password then mage wireless connection and get rid of the laptop last connection date will be whenever you got rid of the laptop

"Apparently we can only have 3 devices using the internet through it..."

I really doubt if that is true. Most Wireless routers can have up to 128 devices connected wirelessly. This router is advertised as being suitable for home or small businesses. A 3 device limit would not make sense. Even if it was true you no longer have the other laptop - so it can't still be connecting.

I think you should look elsewhere for the answer to your android connection problem. For example: Does the router have "mac address filtering" enabled? That's not "mac" as in apple. That's mac address as in network card ID number.

Ads

Unless you set it to only accept certain MAC addresses, or have set the dhcp pool of the router to only 3 machines, this an not happen. These routers default to many machines being able to connect. They should be capable of handling somewhere near 20 wireless connections. Even if there were only 3 allowed, it will allow ANY 3 items at one time. So that is NOT the problem. Does your Andoid have WPA encryption? Many hand helds do not, they only work with WEP. In which case you would need to change the router encryption ton WEP. This will disconnect ALL the machines and you will need to search for the router and select connect to re-instate them with the new security key.