Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
can a bad battery cause a car to stall?
12-16-2012, 03:47 PM
can a bad battery cause a car to stall?
Driving home from work today my car stalled and would not start up again until jumped. When jumped the car ran for a few miles but when I put my heat on began feeling as if it would stall again. I have a brand new battery ready to install but my question is would a bad battery cause a car to stall out completely. The way I see it is if the alternator powers the vehicle then it should continue you to even if there is a higher load such as headlights or heat. Could a bad battery still cause this stalling action or not unless the alternator was bad?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2012, 03:55 PM

Bad batter will definetly cause a car to stall, even if the alternator is doing its job if the battery is bad then no charging willl happen. Also check the connections to the battery, i had an issue last year where the connectors were some what loose and even though the battery was good the connection caused it not to charge. Take the connectors off clean them very well with a wire brush and put them on tight and try again. Also autozone will do free checks on battery and alternatoor

The problem is the way you see it. Sure the alternator will still power the car, but when the battery gets so low that you need a jump, the alternator cannot do both, and besides, jumping and using the car with a bad battery is a great way to ruin your alternator also.

Ads

I'm not a mechanic, and that's who you need to ask. But in my experience, a bad battery will keep the car from starting, but it won't stall once you are driving. Once the car is going, driving charges the battery back up. My first guess would be your alternator. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear. The only other thing might be to check all your cables and connections just to be sure they are all clean and tight. If a connector was loose on the battery it could cause a problem, but I'm not really sure if cause stalling or not.

If one or more of the six battery cells have shorted out, the alternator no longer charges the battery properly. Have a free load test done on your battery to see what the reserve amperage capacity is. Amps spin starter motors not volts.