Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
can i connect my laptop to a Linksys 2.4 GHz Wireless N router using a dial up connection?
12-09-2012, 10:56 PM
can i connect my laptop to a Linksys 2.4 GHz Wireless N router using a dial up connection?
ok, i have a dial up connection at my house and i want to connect my laptop using Linksys 2.4 GHz Wireless N router so that it would go faster and wireless. i also want to connect my ps3. is it possible?? do i need a desktop computer to do this?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2012, 11:04 PM

1st answer is, it's impractical however it is possible, you would have to set up connection sharing on the computer that uses the dial-up, then you would have to find a way to connect that to the wireless router, but it will be time consuming and way too expensive, you would be much better off getting cheap dsl. Second of all, the router won't make your connection go faster, it will make your already slow connection go slower. And you DO NOT want to connect a PS3 to dial-up, it is slow enough on DSL, I would get at least cable for that. Hope this helps.

VV V V To brian below me V V V V 25MBPS "megabits per second," is one heck of a lot fater than 56KBPS "kilobits per second" megabit is MUCH more than kilobit.
12-09-2012, 11:04 PM

Well, you need a dial up modem to dial up to the internet. The only router which i know of that has one built in is the Apple Airport extreme. (not the newer one, the 802.11g one) This can share dial up over wireless, however it WILL NOT be faster. Actually WAY SLOWER! IF the max speed for dial up is around 53 Kbps, and the actuall throughbut for wireless G is only 25 Mbps, there would be a big slowdown, and online gaming with the PS3 would lag horribly. it would take forever to connect to games, and people would call you a lagger and ban you from those games. The computer would be just as slow loading webpages, etc...Just get high speed. Its as low as $20 a month for DSL which is way faster and can be used with your new router. Post details if you need any more help!

Ads