Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My network speed is lower than what it's supposed to be?
12-06-2012, 12:49 PM
My network speed is lower than what it's supposed to be?
Hi,
I pay for 1M internet and when I do a speed test it says 1M....

However, when I try to download anything (except in itunes), the speed is 100k......

My modem is TP LINK W8950ND....

Is my ISP cheating me???

Suggestions Please....

-SDK

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2012, 12:57 PM

1M is 128K in theory but in actual use is 100K to 120K ... are u using Download Manager programs ?

Well first of all internet speed is different than download speed. And even though you say you pay for 1M internet, that does not necessarily mean that is what you get all the time. Usually they will say "UP TO 1M' or something. Notice it says UP TO instead of At least. That means the speed can still be less so it is not cheating you, just making you misinterpret it. But then again the modem is not really what is important, your router is more important. The stronger your connection with the router is the faster the speed. If you want, try connecting an Ethernet cable to the back of the router and then to your computer. It should much faster.

Ads

Just pa attention to the letters after the given speed. Because 1 Mbps (mega bit per second) is actually about .128 MBps (mega bytes per second. The conversion factor is 1/8 MB = 1 Mb

every isp is different for me 1 get 120k-100k download speed but my old isp used to give me 140-160k try using idm(internet download manager)