Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
how can i LIMIT the connection of my wireless?
12-06-2012, 12:31 AM
how can i LIMIT the connection of my wireless?
i have a wireless router TP-LINK WR541G router.my problem is that any one who comes in the range of my wireless router can use internet.my neighbour uses my net and which i do not like.i have 3 pc so i only want to use net on them.could anybody tell me that how can i secure my net from anonymous users?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2012, 12:39 AM

enable the mac filter, it will the listed macaddress in the list can access your wireless..

put a password on it

Ads

Use a WPA-PSK password (WEP is cracked in about 2 minutes on a sub-standard PC). After that enable MAC filtering by logging into your router, there will be guides online on how to do both of the above.

Second to that, disable the wireless option and use a wired connection to the router, it's significantly more secure on top of being more reliable.

Enable your DHCP server....give yourself a forever lease (for all your comps), and give everyone else a 1 to 2 min lease time, (REVOKE their lease time)...they will give up on trying to 'stay connected' and leave....
also, it is infuriating to be connected, to only be bumped in a minute or two (serves the leeches right)

Set your SSID to NOT display your radio signal.

And finally, someone here suggests using some WPA-PSK password (WEP is cracked in about 2 minutes on a sub-standard PC).

After that enable MAC filtering by logging into your router, there will be guides online on how to do both of the above.

If all else fails; Disable the wireless option and use a wired connection to the router, it's significantly more secure on top of being more reliable.