Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do I add a network printer when I connect to the network via WiFi?
10-31-2012, 06:46 AM
How do I add a network printer when I connect to the network via WiFi?
I have used the Add a Printer wizard and when it asks for the printer name it will not accept any of the possible printer names. I have enabled Sharing on the actual printer properties and I can see the share name is TOSHIBAe...but I cannot get my laptop to recognize that name?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2012, 06:55 AM

If the printer itself does not have wireless capabilities, then you will have to plug the printer into router that supports both wired and wireless connections. Usually, this is done with a CAT5 (Ethernet) cable. You can buy them pretty cheap at any electronics store.
10-31-2012, 06:55 AM

I assume your printer is connected to another machine. If so all your machines should have the same workgroup name and simple computer names. Then on the machine with the printer you can set it shared, set the security to allow anyone to use it. Open the exception for file and printer sharing in the firewall. You should then see the server machine in the network browser and if you double click it you should see the printer. Double click it to install it locally.

Ads