Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it safe to use online banking in a free wifi network such as a hotel or a pub?
10-31-2012, 06:43 AM
Is it safe to use online banking in a free wifi network such as a hotel or a pub?

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2012, 06:51 AM

NO DON'T, those "free wifi" usually don't have firewalls that would prevent hackers to hacked you and take all your personal information.

Online banking uses SSL encryption which means, in theory, that it is safe. Anything you transmit that isn't over an encrypted connection, however, could be snooped very easily.

Ads

Not really.

Hackers may monitor your PC.

definately not!

if you use your firewall you should have no problems
i do it all the time since i work away from home all the time

Every banking website will use encryption to connect with you and their servers using SSL. It is safe, in theory, and can be used. Having an ultra-secure password will also help. I wouldn't necessarily recommend online banking on an open network, but you should be fine.

TWO WORDS ABSOLUTELY NOT............

Absolute not. This was demonstrate live on one of the computer programs some time ago.

They got someone to go to a free wifi area and told them to do their emails, a bit of blogging, enter a secure site etc.

A short time later they were given a complete print out of everything they did, which included card details, passwords, all their emails and what they said in their blogs.

Unbeknown to them a computer security expert was sitting 5 tables away on another laptop logging everything they did.

Even your wireless connection at home is not safe. Any wireless signal can be intercepted as any Government, company or agency have found to their cost.

Oneline banking is about as safe as you will get it now, but only through a hard wired connection, ie an Ethernet cable.

Inconvenient that it might be, I would never have a wiress connection in my house, nor would I ever use one.

Short answer: Yes it is, but it is NOT safe to use sites like Facebook in this scenario, or any other site that expects you to log in via an unencrypted connection.

Long answer:

It's safe as long as it's over a SSL encrypted connection (where the address starts "https://" and you get the lock symbol at the bottom right of the screen, or on the right of the address bar if you're using Internet Explorer).

Always click or double click the lock to see the connection details, even if you're at home. The security certificate should correspond to the site you're actually using.

If the connection is not encrypted (e.g. if you're using a website that starts with http:// instead of https://) then anyone can eavesdrop on the wifi connection and see everything that you do. That wouldn't include any reputable banking websites, but it does include things like Facebook and some web mail sites (so beware!)

That includes your home wi-fi by the way, unless you're using secure encryption (i.e. not WEP!) with a secure passphrase. On an open or insecure wi-fi network, any eavesdropper will be able to see what sites you're visiting, but if SSL is being used he won't be able to see what data is actually being transmitted. E.g. he can see you're using "barclays.co.uk" but won't be able to see your password, account balance or card details.

The biggest risk with online banking in a public place like a pub is from "shoulder surfing", i.e. someone standing behind you or looking through the window to see what you're looking at and typing in. That particular crime doesn't need any hacking knowledge or special software, just a pair of eyes!

sewrobb - a hacker or eavesdropper will NOT be able to capture card or other sensitive details from a SSL encrypted connection in that scenario. They can only do so if the website you're using is insecure by design and invites you to submit these details entirely "in the clear" (i.e. not using SSL). And I think you're a little paranoid about wi-fi, as the current encryption schemes are very secure. (You wouldn't run your home wi-fi totally unencrypted and in the open, like a cafe hotspot would be.)