Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
People are using my wifi and giving me viruses?
10-15-2012, 01:06 PM
People are using my wifi and giving me viruses?
hello people, i have an at&t modem and the people around my apartment building are all using me as an internet source. I used to be fine with it but then some people started sending me viruses. Does anybody know how to put security on my internet so that wifi connections or people cannot access it without knowing the password. Please help me, i would be very grateful.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 01:14 PM

Go to your control panel, open up Network and sharing Centre, and find customize. It will allow you to put a password in.
10-15-2012, 01:14 PM

AT&T modems are often pre-configured with a password and on many do not allow you to easily change the password.

Go to AT&T's web support site and look for information on changing the settings on your model of modem. You will have to gain access to the control panel of the modem/router in order to change the password.

Look on the side of the device to see if the access codes are printed on the unit itself. My AT&T gateway modem/router has the control panel web address, and control panel password listed on the side of the unit, as well as the password and SSID for the wireless router.

If you find these, you can open the control panel and change the password to a new one that only you will know.

You should also look to see if MAC level security options are available on the device. This will allow you to set the device to only accept a connection from your computer, and no others.

As for viruses, that is very unlikely to be coming from others that are stealing your service. It is more likely a problem with a site you have been visiting, as many sites get infected by adware and spyware, and thus spread these to you when you visit.

If you are not running an anti-spyware program in addition to anti-virus, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Download and install Spybot-Search & Destroy. This anti-spyware, anti-malware program works very well if you maintain the settings; and it is free and works with all major and free anti-virus programs.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

I only use the links from Safer-networking, as they are the ones who maintain the service, so get it from the source. They ask for a donation, which is a good practice on your part, but it is not mandatory to be able to download and use the program.

Download and install the program with all updates. Run a scan of your system. IF you get hits for spyware or malware that can not be removed, then you will need to run the software from safe mode, as there is a spyware program running in live memory, and only safe mode scans can remove that type of threat. If you need help with this, email me through the link on my name.

Ads