Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I really need help of someone who has configured a server?
10-15-2012, 12:07 PM
I really need help of someone who has configured a server?
Hi,
I am a first Line IT Technician and I am wanting to manage my home network using a server to manage, 2 Laptops and a ps3. I am wanting to do this to gain Server knowledge and to share resources like my printer and I have a separate 500gb HDD full of music, DVD's etc.

Ok I have custom built PC dual booted with XP, SERVER 2003 ENTERPRISE R2, & WINDOWS 7

After installing server 2003 i did the following things:

configured typical settings such as DNS, AD, DHCP ETC using the wizard that does all this for you.

My LAN settings for the server are all dynamically configured (Not Static) . The laptop is connected using Ethernet cable to the LAN port on my router. (my server is connected to the router LAN port using Ethernet as well)

I can ping the server with the IP and Host name & ping the laptop with both as well but I cannot join the laptop to the domain as it says: cannot contact the AD....

what should I do??

any additonal info needed I will post on here or if you can ask me any additional questions & advice on my email kamaljalil@hotmail.co.uk-- all help is appreciated! SmileSmile

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 12:15 PM

You can try use yourdomain as domain name instead of yourdomain.local or yourdomain.com when you try to join your PC.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply