Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Familiar with Ubuntu installation and troubleshooting...?
05-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Familiar with Ubuntu installation and troubleshooting...?
My oldie Toshiba netbook series NB100 wont let me install ubuntu as it had viruses when using windows xp, It got infected with a trojan those days ( maybe win32 or something similar ), It did not allow me to restore system to a previous date.
It tried to start but was unable to, showing a safe mode screen, any option I chose It would get back to that same screen..
Now I am using ubuntu 11.10 from a flash drive but if I try to install it, it wont let me go further from the ..Who are you gets stuck there.
Will you please give me some advice .
Now when I start the computer it only shows a blank screen with a cursor ( I had selected total use of disk when trying to install )
1. Sorry about my english
2. Sorry about my being so newbie
3. Thank you for your patience and help

I am definitely trying to install Ubuntu 11.10 over Windows but after choosing that option, it gets stuck on the process ( who are you screen)

Would there be a fix if the BIOS was infected ?

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2014, 11:59 AM
I just tried twice to install Xubutu 11.10 and failed both times. Instead I have installed PC Linux OS which installed quickly and worked first time.
05-30-2014, 12:08 PM
It's possible your Ubuntu install got corrupted when you were copying it to the flash drive.

I would suggest trying to refresh it, or trying a different version of Ubuntu. 10.10 and 10.04 are listed as supported for it. Maybe something in 11.10 isn't working right?

If you want to reflash your computer's bios...there are instructions for doing that, but I don't know that that is your problem.

05-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Your computers previous viruses would not affect the installation of a new operating system; the viruses would simply be overwritten and lost in the process of installing the new OS (regardless of the type of OS). That's one reason why an OS re-installation is often recommended as a solution to virus infections.

A BIOS infection seems unlikely. If the BIOS is infected, it should be possible to re-flash the BIOS with a BIOS update downloaded from Toshiba. I don't know whether there is a Linux utility for flashing the BIOS on a Toshiba laptop. Laptop manufacturers generaly provide only Windows utilities for updating the BIOS, but sometimes there is a Linux utility available (maybe in the repositories or from a third-party).

I would recommend trying a different installation method for Ubuntu. Try burning a Live CD and installing from there or making a new Live USB.

It could be that the computer's hard drive has failed through age. That could cause these symptoms.

If the hard drive has failed, you will need to buy a new hard drive and install that inside the computer before you can install any OS on it. I would suggest trying this, if you can afford to. Do you have a spare hard drive lying around with nothing important stored on it that you could use as a replacement, to test this theory?

There are software utilities that can be used to diagnose hard drives from within Ubuntu. If you search for how to diagnose hard drive failure on Linux, you might be able to figure out whether the drive has failed without having to test a different drive in the laptop.

Your English is good. I have seen much worse English from other people.