Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My computer won't boot after fixboot?
05-30-2014, 10:20 AM
My computer won't boot after fixboot?
well,it quite a long story

first of all,I have windows 7 RC installed on my computer

the primary partition (which have windows XP in it) doesn't have any space left so I was thinking of removing Windows 7

I use a easus partition manager to remove the windows 7 partition by deleting the partition

when I finish doing that, I restart the computer,but the thing is,the Windows boot manager is still there (it tells me to choose previous windows or windows 7) but I have already remove the windows 7 from my hard drive so I google for some help to remove the Windows boot manager.

I found one that says using windows xp cd installer and use the repair features inside the cd (where the screen appear blue and u can press R to go into the console) and type fixboot or fixmbr to remove the windows boot manager,so I followed the instruction and now my PC won't boot into Windows

The first time I try fixboot,after that I restart,then it appear "Disk error,press CTRL+ALT+DELETE" something like that,so I thought fixmbr will fix this problem,so I type fixmbr in the repair console and type y to accept.

Now it still didn't fix my problem, it is still appearing a "Disk error,press CTRL+ALT+DELETE" something like that. now I can't boot into windows anymore,is there a way to fix it? I do not want to format my windows again...
@vcw1939

I know how to do that but it will have many problems with the software inside my hard drive,I try it before in the end,I still need to format again.
Oh and by the way,I've downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 3 ISO from microsoft download center,will it work the same as the original XP cd,I think I will try to burn into a CD and try to repair the Windows XP like vcw1939 taught me...

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2014, 10:32 AM

How did you type this question if your computer won't boot? Are you a supa magical beast of supreme computer powers?
05-30-2014, 10:48 AM

Uhh, sounds like you fried your Master Boot Record (MBR).

Back when I Dual-booted my Vista with Linux and uninstalled Linux, I ran into the same problem. Everyone said the only solution was to format.

However...
I found a program called Super Grub Disk. What it does is you boot it from the CD and it can then boot any partition. It can be a bit complicated, as it was designed to reinstate a Linux system, however it also has the option to restore a windows system. Tread lightly...

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Oh and to the idiot above me... He used a different computer

Ads

05-30-2014, 10:51 AM

XP REPAIR INSTALL - print this for easier use. Use of an OEM disk will probable fail. You need an authentic Windows XP Home or Pro disk for this repair.

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below. This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you do not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP
installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your
applications and settings will remain intact.

Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet
when asked, enable the XP firewall
[ http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283673 ]
before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the
firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties, and there is a check box on the Advanced [ http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfirewall1.jpg ] page.

7. Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install using an Original pre service pack 1 or 2 XP CD used as the install media will remove SP1/SP2 respectively and service packs plus updates isssued after the service packs will need to be reapplied.