Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
computer servers?
05-29-2014, 01:24 PM
computer servers?
My company is looking into getting a server to use. How do they work? are they safe? and how much are they ? any extra info is appreciated.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2014, 01:36 PM

when u buy a server u need to use a o.s like linux windows 2003 etc. a server is work as a administrator over sevreal clients ur now not in p2p network (peer to peer netwoek)yes they r safe literally according urs requiremet but there wold be one head server onther will work under it i mean if u hav mad eany server for accounting branch etc.. there is only one domain controller nd then additioanl nd many child u can create i will suggest win2003 entrprise edition for u
05-29-2014, 01:41 PM

They are like a centralized stoage place. You can all store you files on the server. The advantages to this is it is a whole lot easier to share files, backup becomes real easy, and you only have to have 1 username password for all the computers. You can also have your sever send and recieve email as well as a host of other nice things. They run anywhere from 2-8k depending on what options you want/need

Ads

05-29-2014, 01:52 PM

I assume if you are asking this, you have a very small company with no IT department. A server is nothing more than a powerful computer that you connect to the rest of your computers using a network. It can be used to store files, run demanding applications, etc. Safety depends on your configuration. If it isn't exposed to the Internet, then you should have no security concerns except for the people in your office. Depending on the model, they start around $1500 and can go way up from there to tens of thousands of dollars. You can get something decent for a small office for about $1500 to $2000. Your best bet is to contact HP or Dell to have them quote you something appropriate for your needs.
05-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Only buy / invest in a server if you have more than 10 computers...A "Server" usually indicates that you will be using "server" software. If you have less than 10 machines purchase a fairly robust windows XP Pro machine (Around 800 - 1000 from Dell for example) and share folders from this machine. Purchase something like a REV drive for backups...

I have set a few of these up for small companies - Its cost effective and works great - Just hire someone that will set up the network for you an explain how to connect from the client machines to the "server" - You could send them the above info if your unsure how to ask for this type of set up - It's all they would need. Shouldn't cost you more than 2 - 2500 for all hardware and set up fees in my opinion