Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can you ask not to walk through the xray scanners at airports?
05-29-2014, 08:25 AM
Can you ask not to walk through the xray scanners at airports?
I am taking a flight in a couple months, but I am concerned about the scanners installed at many airports that xray you. I've seen on the news how some workers were using them to take naked photos of women. I've always looked up the images that they produce, and I can see for myself that they definitely don't leave a person much in the way of dignity. If I have to pass then it can't be helped, but I have two young daughters. I'd prefer that no one standing on the opposite side of those things see my daughter's naked. I'd submit to letting someone go over them with a metal detector, but I just don't think it's right to let them pass through otherwise.

So can you specifically request not to go through them? I realize that for security personal it may raise eyebrows, but I feel my fears are legitimate.
I think a lot of you are unfamiliar with how well these machines work and how much they show. Please look up the images on Google before jumping to conclusions. Some show very detailed anatomy. And don't forget that a lawsuit has already happened over a worker being teased after coworkers saw the size of his genitals on such a device.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2014, 08:32 AM

Tell them your expecting a baby and don't feel that it's safe
05-29-2014, 08:45 AM

Xrays can't take pictures of you naked. They can only detect metal or foreign objects hidden either inside a person or in their close. These photographs can't take a naked picture of you. You should definitely change where your getting your news from.

Ads

05-29-2014, 09:00 AM

I don't believe you're talking about x-rays.
X-rays are the machines in hospitals used to see tumors and bone fractures.
Most airports don't have the kind of money to install the machines you're talking about, so I doubt you would even encounter one, much less have to go through one.
05-29-2014, 09:16 AM

Yes. You may request a pat down. Those backscatter machines are a source of radiation. They're only installed at about a dozen airports now. The plan is to have them installed at all airports.

The TSA goons don't go through those things. They all bypass 'em.
05-29-2014, 09:25 AM

You do not have the right to refuse metal detectors, but I believe that you do have the right to refuse the x-ray screening. They will give you a pat-down search instead.

I'd strongly suggest you let your daughters do the x-ray, because a pat-down search (even if it's by a female using a hand-wand) is going to be a lot more awkward for them.
05-29-2014, 09:28 AM

You can ask not to go through the scanners, you can even refuse to go through the scanners, but the TSA personnel will refuse to let you through the security gate to board the planes if you do not go through the scanners.

You don't have to go through the scanners, but if you don't go through the scanner, the TSA doesn't have to let you on the plane.

The people who think all the scanner shows are skeletons or some such need to go to U-Tube and look at some of the actual TSA scanner pictures. The resolution can be adjusted to show in great detail everything a person has.
05-29-2014, 09:40 AM

i think you are over reacting just a smidge...... the "x-ray" will not take naked pictures it only will show whether you have metal on you or not. it will not show your childs private areas as it would if they WERE naked......ive also seen these pictures and i find nothing "naked" about it.