Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What type of paint to use for this project?
05-29-2014, 08:07 AM
What type of paint to use for this project?
Basically, the family is having a late Christmas and I know nothing about paints but know what I want to do.

I want to have my daughter's footprints on a plate with a cute Christmas reference painted on the plate as well. The only problem is that I bought some cheap gold colored smooth plastic decoration plates from Wal-Mart and anytime I search for the type of paint I need I get more confused.

I need a paint that won't chip off of cheap plastic plates but still be able to put on my baby's foot to print onto the plate.

Help, please? Thanks for any replies.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2014, 08:18 AM

Sounds cute, but...

If it were my baby...no feet painting. A cute picture with an added reference in a frame...yes. You can add a note with virtually any digital camera editing software.

There may be an acrylic paint that might work that doesn't contain any heavy metals, etc. (Or a body paint.) If there is a "paint" it MUST have a non-toxic safety label. See this link http://www.dickblick.com/productinfo/healthsafety/

You might check at a "Babies-R-Us" type store. But, you will not be able to eat off the plates, anyhow. They won't be washable. (So why a plate?)

Hope you get a more helpful answer. Don't forget to look for the safety information.
05-29-2014, 08:29 AM

The safest to use is acrylic and then seal the plates over with a clear polymer based varnish.
Not ideal but the best solution for what you have to work with.
Acrylic is a polymer based paint so you'll need to wash it off your daughters' feet once you've done the plates, only to stop it getting on any other textiles because once it has dried it won't come off easily if at all.

Toddler with acrylic painted feet plus carpet really not good.
It will dry quickly so you might find it best to use an old rag you are happy to discard.

The high shine on the plastic plates mean it will not key naturally to being overpainted which is why you need to seal over the top because it is really creating a sandwich of layers. The plates are given a coating designed to stop things sticking to it during it's manufacture.
This is best done with an exterior spray varnish in a well ventilated area, preferrably outside but not if it is damp which will make the varnish bloom. Please make sure you wear a mask because it is really nasty stuff to get on your lungs.

The paint will chip off through use though and I know of no way of creating a more permanent effect which is non harmful with plastic as the base material. Should you need to clean them wipe gently with a slightly damp cloth, as immersion in water could cause the whole design to lift.
Rather than use the plates turn them into a decorative item.

To make something more permanent you would need to etch into the plastic which would be very time comsuming, but that would also make the surface of the plate unsuitable for use.

You could make prints on paper, cut them out and then glue them on but again this would result in something which you could not get wet.

You could also use childrens poster paint or finger paint to take prints of her feet, scan the image into a computer, and then print out onto transfer paper to make tee-shirts, cushions or towels. Sorry the transfer paper is heat activated so not ideal to be ironed onto a plastic plate, but I mention this as an idea for when you have more time.

I hope this helps you and that you have a great celebration.

Or you could print onto acetate, cut to fit the plates recess and simply drop these in place when you want to use them. This latter solution would give you designs which you could reconfigure into a mobile or picture later, yet would still allow you to clean the plates after use once the design decals have been lifted off.

Ads