Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A few server questions.?
05-29-2014, 06:06 AM
A few server questions.?
I am thinking of buying a server. I want to know if I can just use it to store files on it, and secondly I was wondering if I can use my laptop or desktop to either remotely access it or wireless access it (while in my house), or would I need to have it connected to a computer to put files on it. I don't want to rent one, because I want to have it as a more permanent storage. Or should I just buy an external hard-drive? If I should then can I do any of the things I stated in the above questions.

Thank you in advance.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2014, 06:10 AM

What you are describing sounds like you want an external hard drive, however unless its on your local area network i do not think you can remotely access it...but i could be wrong.
05-29-2014, 06:15 AM

It seems to me like you are not quite aware of what a server is. Short and simple, a server is a computer which offers services, such as file sharing on your network, web services, databases, backups, streaming media, et cetera. You can connect a monitor, keyboard and mouse to most servers, but normally servers are managed via a command line interface such as Telnet or remote desktop solution such as VNC. If you only wish to share files on your network, a external hard drive with a built in network adapter is all you need. If you wish to use any advanced services, a server is a good idea. Microsoft has created a very nice home use server solution named Windows Home Server. You can build your own home server and purchase Windows Home Server, or you can purchase a ready made and complete product, for example by Acer or HP. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me.

Ads

05-29-2014, 06:28 AM

If all you want is a networked storage device then look at NAS devices like the dlink-323 (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/c...0Storage).

This connects to my network like any other device on the network and you connect to it like a PC. I just connect a mapped drive to the network share (\\storage\volume_1) on the device and good to go.

You buy the device and, typically, the drives separately. Takes about 2 minutes to put together. You format the drives from the administrator interface (web based) and you are all set. I have two 1 TB drives in mine in a RAID 1 configuration so if one drive should fail I have an automatic backup.

It is accessed from either a wireless laptop or wired computer.

Defintely a lot cheaper than a server solution.