Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you connect your laptop to a monitor?
12-31-2012, 09:33 PM
How do you connect your laptop to a monitor?
I have a HP laptop and the screen cracked so I can't see anything. The hard drive and everything else is perfectly fine. I was wondering if I'm able to connect it to a monitor or a tv to replace the laptop screen. Any info would help. Thank you.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2012, 09:42 PM

If the laptop has a video port then you can do this. You will have to set the monitor to be the primary display, so that everything will be shown on the monitor and not the laptop.

it depends on the ports on the laptop. it should be able to output over vga or if you have an hdmi port you can use hdmi to a newer tv

Ads

Go to a good electronics store and find yourself a cable that you can use to connect your laptop to a monitor. It's called a VGA cable, and it's not very expensive. Another choice is to get a whole new monitor.
Once you have the cable and monitor, all you have to do is find that port to connect the VGA cable on the side of the laptop (all laptops let you connect external monitors!) and connect one end of the cable there.
The other end plugs in to the monitor. Connect it and power on the monitor. You're good to go.

laptops usually have a video (VGA) port where you can connect external monitors or TV. All you need is the right cable that matches the port that's on your laptop. Turn the monitor or TV in before turning the laptop on. The laptop should be able detect the presence of an external monitor and will automatically direct the display to that. If not, there's an F-key that is pressed in combination with the Fn key. You have to look for it on your keyboard.

What model# is the laptop????? Most will have at least a VGA port. Some will have HDMI or both. You need a monitor and cable to match your output port. Hook it all up and turn the monitors power on, it will probably say no signal on the screen. If it does press fn and F4, wait a few seconds, if the desktop screen doesn't appear repeat until it does.

There is a VGA port having 5X3= 15 holes (the one from which projector is connected). Connect one end of VGA wire to monitor and one to this port.
Previously you were attaching monitor to CPU. But now same wire, same ports but Monitor to laptop.

I think its clear now.